Submissions open 27th November 2017 Deadline: Monday 8th January 2018, 5pm
Moniack Mhor and The Bridge Awards are pleased to announce the opening of applications for the 2018 Emerging Writer Award, (previously The Bridge Award). The award is for unpublished writers wishing to make a significant breakthrough in developing a full-length piece of work.
Established in 2015, the award is now in its third year, and is run by Moniack Mhor in partnership with The Bridge Awards, a philanthropic venture that has helped to fund theatre and visual arts projects.
Rachel Humphries, Centre Director at Moniack Mhor says: ‘We are delighted to be able to facilitate the Emerging Writer Award in 2018. There is a wealth of literary talent in the UK and the award provides the opportunity to gain valuable support, allowing an aspiring writer to take the next steps in their career’.
Previous winners include Vicky Mackenzie, Heather Parry and Rue Baldry.
The successful candidate will receive a tailor-made package worth up to £2,000 including tuition via open courses, retreat time and/or mentoring. The final terms of the award will be agreed by the successful candidate and Moniack Mhor.
Eligibility and Submission Guidelines
The Emerging Writer Award is open to unpublished prose fiction writers (individuals who have yet to publish a major work, i.e. a novel or short story collection) living and working in the U.K. who have a work in progress.
Please apply by sending:
- A C.V. which details any literary achievements to date, i.e. awards, fellowships or publications, and that you meet the above criteria. Feel free to use this section to tell us a little about yourself, and please include full contact information.
- A single-sided A4 summary / synopsis of your writing project that outlines your work in progress. Please do not put your name on this document as it will be judged anonymously.
A sample of your work:
- Maximum 1000 words, in a size and font that is clear to read.
- Double-spaced and single-sided, ideally.
- Page numbers are appreciated.
- Whilst emailed submissions are our preferred method for receiving your work, we will accept postal entries.
- Please do not put your name or other identifiable information on the sample as it will be judged anonymously.
- These guidelines are to ensure efficient processing of your application to the Emerging Writer Award.
Applications can be submitted from the 27th November with a closing date of Monday 8th January at 5pm.
Applications should be sent by email to: email@example.com or by post: Moniack Mhor Writers’ Centre, Teavarran, Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire IV4 7HT
For any enquiries relating to the Bridge Award, please contact: Mark Phimister, Centre Host and Emerging Writer Administrator, on firstname.lastname@example.org
email@example.com Tel: 01463 741675